Summer 2017 Programs at Bearnstow
Bearnstow is actively seeking additional workshops in the sciences. Our 65 acres of pristine woodland and 2,400 feet of shoreline on Parker Pond are uniquely suited for studies in biology, ecology, and earth sciences. Instructors in the biological and geological sciences should send inquiries to Jim at Bearnstow.
Download Bearntows complete Public Events Calendar (PDF) of free classes and performances.
Saturday, September 2: Young Artist Residency Concert, Union Hall, Vienna, Maine, 7:30 p.m.
Free Community Classes for All Ages
Bearnstow offers free community classes for all ages and abilities at the Mt. Vernon Community Center every Wednesday evening at 7:30 p.m. from June 28 through August 23. Please see the workshop descriptions for the content of each class (links above). For more information, phone 207-293-2280 (after June 15). Download calendar of free events (PDF)
For Young People, 1518
Young people ages 15 to 18 are invited to attend adult workshop classes from 9:30 a.m. to 12:00 noon. There are usually two classes each morning, each workshop having its own aesthetic (see workshop descriptions, links above). Permission of the instructor is needed for admission. Fee is $75.00 for the five morning sessions. To apply, write Bearnstow Administration detailing the students interest.
Bearnstow presents free performances by the current weeks workshop dancers and artist residents every Friday evening at 7:30 p.m. from July 7 through August 18 in Bearnstows Main Hall. Download calendar of free events (PDF)
Two Formal Concerts, at the Union Hall, Vienna, Maine, 7:30 p.m.:
Saturday, August 26: A Concert of Mexican Folklorco, directed by Jonathan Trejo
Saturday, September 2: Young Artist Residency Concert, works created throughout the summer workshops
Summer 2017 Fees and Scholarships
|Fee Schedule for One-Week Workshop:|
|Fee Schedule for Any Two Consecutive Weeks:|
(Bearnstow offers a fee of $600 per workshop if you attend three or more consecutive weeks.)
- Tuition for Resident Participants includes housing and meals. See Bearnstow Accommodations.
- Tuition for Day Participants includes lunch every day and dinner Sunday and Wednesday evenings. At other times meals may be purchased if desired: breakfast ($8.00) and dinner ($15.00).
- Resident Participants arrive on Sunday afternoon and check in before dinner and depart on Saturday after lunch. (We will pick up resident participants from the Augusta airport or bus station on Sunday afternoon and return them to Augusta on Saturday afternoon.) Workshops include morning and afternoon classes daily plus lab time, with time for recreation. Total course hours exceed 30 and may be accepted by colleges and universities for credit. Apply to your respective institution.
- For Day Participant commuters the workshop week includes the opening Sunday dinner, all class activity from Monday through Saturday morning, six lunches, and dinner on Wednesday evening (the evening of the Mount Vernon Community Center class). Day Students are responsible for providing their own transportation to and from Bearnstow.
Scholarships and Discounts
- Limited Work/Study Scholarships are available (please note your request on your registration). Work/study participants assist the Young Artist Residents in exchange for a $50 deduction from their total fee. Dance professionals and teachers should inquire about available discounts.
- Tuition Scholarships are granted based on need for participants requiring additional financial assistance. Applicants should contact their workshop instructors and apply separately by email to Bearnstow Administration. Applicant should supply résumé, portrait photo, letter of recommendation, and proof of need.
- Referral Discounts are available by referring a friend. You may refer a friend to a Bearnstow workshop (either the workshop for which you are registering or any other 2017 workshop) for a $50 discount in your fee when your friend registers. Please enter your friends name on the registration form.
- Full-season Young Artist Residencies provide access to all classes throughout the summer season, as well as a stipend. The Young Artist Residency Program will run from June 15 to September 3. Applications are now being accepted for the 2017 summer season. Send résumé (MS Word .doc or .docx, or Adobe Acrobat .pdf only), portrait photo, and letter of recommendation to Bearnstow Administration by December 31, 2016.
- Auditors must have an agreement with the instructor to attend classes. The instructor may wish to charge an auditing fee. Please e-mail Bearnstow Administration, giving your professional status and the workshop you would like to attend. Auditors who wish to stay at the camp will be housed with student participants and are subject to the weekly room and board fee of $350.
Fees for Day Camp:
- Two weeks Day Camp for children of school age (6–14 years): $275.00 (includes lunch each day). See Day Camp for more information.
Fees for Guests:
- $75.00 first day per person, $60 per day subsequent days; children under 10 (housed with parents) half price. For infants, parents must bring sleeping accommodations. Parents will be responsible for minors at all times. Staff guests are housed with staff members. Go to Guest Registration form.
Additional Funding Sources
- Universities and colleges have professional advancement programs. For matriculated students, our workshops may fulfill credit requirements for your university. Please apply to your institution.
- For Maine residents: Maine Community Foundation offers scholarships to attend Aspirational, Non-Traditional, & Camp Scholarships. See also other Available Scholarships that may be applicable to you.
Registration for 2017 Workshops
Complete the online Workshop Registration Form and pay your deposit or full tuition by credit card. If you encounter any problems completing your registration or cannot pay by credit card, please write Bearnstow Administration.
Apply for the Young Artist Residency Program
Please apply by e-mail to Bearnstow Administration with résumé, portrait photo, and letter of recommendation no later than December 31, 2016 for the 2017 summer season. See The Young Artist Residency Program.
You will need Adobe Reader to open and print PDF documents. If you do not already have Adobe Reader installed, click the button on the left to download it.