Summer 2015 Programs at Bearnstow
Bearnstow is pleased to annouce the Summer 2015 roster of dance and natural history programs.
We are also actively seeking additional workshops in the sciences. Bearnstows 65 acres of pristine woodland and 2,400 feet of shoreline on Parker Pond are uniquely suited for studies in biology, ecology, and earth sciences. Instructors in the biological and geological sciences should send inquiries to Jim at Bearnstow. Small science workshops (with up to five students, depending on housing capacity) may be scheduled in the same weeks with performing arts workshops.
June 20, 4:00 p.m.: Global Water Dances
at Bearnstow, dedicated to the conservation of our precious water resources
July 3: Kinetic Cinema
: a showing of videos by Mimi Garrard and Alwin Nikolais, Bearnstow Main Hall, 7:30 p.m.
Saturday, August 1: Special concert: The Almanac Dance Circus Theater, Union Hall in Vienna, Maine, 7:30 p.m.
Saturday, August 29: Young Artist Residency Concert, at the Union Hall in Vienna, Maine, 7:30 p.m.
Community Classes for All Ages
Bearnstow offers free community classes for all ages and abilities at the Mt. Vernon Community Center every Wednesday eveing at 7:30 p.m. from July 1 through August 19. Please see the workshop descriptions above for the instructors and content of each class. For more information, phone 207-293-2280 (after June 15).
For Young People, 1518
Young people ages 15 to 18 are invited to attend adult workshop classes from 9:30 a.m. to 12:00 noon. There are usually two classes each morning, each workshop having its own aesthetic (see workshop descriptions). Permission of the instructor is needed for admission. Fee is $75.00 for the five morning sessions. To apply, write Bearnstow Administration detailing the students interest.
Bearnstow presents free performances by the current week’s workshop dancers and artist residents every Friday evening at 7:30 p.m. from July 3 through August 21 at Bearnstow (see directions to Bearnstow).
Two Formal Concerts:
Saturday, August 1 The Philadelphia-based Almanac Dance Circus Theater performs their new work, Leaps of Faith,at the Union Hall in Vienna, Maine, 7:30 p.m. On Sunday, August 2, the company will give a special performance for kids at 2:00 p.m. at Bearnstow.
Saturday, August 29 Bearnstows Young Artist Residency Program dancers present a concert of works composed in the Bearnstow workshops throughout the summer. Union Hall in Vienna, Maine, 7:30 p.m.
Summer 2015 Fees and Applications
|Fee Schedule for One-Week Workshop:|
|Fee Schedule for Any Two Consecutive Weeks:|
(If you wish to attend three or more consecutive weeks, please write Bearnstow for discounted fees.)
- Tuition for Resident Participants includes housing and meals. See Bearnstow Accommodations.
- Tuition for Day Participants includes lunch every day and dinner Sunday and Wednesday evenings. At other times meals may be purchased if desired: breakfast ($8.00) and dinner ($15.00).
- Resident Participants should arrive on Sunday afternoon before dinner, depart on Saturday after lunch. Workshops include morning and afternoon classes daily plus lab time, with time for recreation. Total course hours exceed 30 and may be accepted by colleges and universities for credit. Apply to your respective institution.
- For Day Participant commuters the workshop week includes the opening Sunday dinner, all class activity from Monday through Saturday morning, six lunches, and dinner on Wednesday evening (the evening of the Mount Vernon Community Center class). Day Students are responsible for providing their own transportation to and from Bearnstow.
Scholarships and Discounts
- Limited Work/Study Scholarships are available (please note your request on your application). Work/study participants assist the Young Artist Residents in exchange for a $50 deduction from their total fee. Dance professionals and teachers should inquire about available discounts. Participants requiring additional financial assistance should contact their workshop instructors, or apply for a Tuition Scholarship.
- Tuition Scholarships are granted based on need and should be applied for separately by email to Bearnstow Administration. Applicant should supply résumé, portrait photo, letter of recommendation, and proof of need.
- Full-season Young Artist Residencies provide access to all classes throughout the summer season, as well as a stipend. The Young Artist Residency Program for summer 2015 runs from June 20 to August 30. To apply, please send résumé (MS Word .doc format or PDF only), portrait photo, and letter of recommendation to Bearnstow Administration.
- Referral Discounts are available by referring a friend. You may refer a friend to a Bearnstow workshop (either the workshop for which you are applying or any other 2015 workshop) for a $50 discount in your fee when your friend registers. Please enter your friends name on the application form.
- Auditors must have an agreement with the instructor to attend classes. The instructor may wish to charge an auditing fee. Please e-mail Bearnstow Administration, giving your professional status and the workshop you would like to attend. Auditors will be housed with student participants.
Fees for Day Camp:
- Two weeks Day Camp, including lunch: $275.00 (see Day Camp for more information).
Fees for Guests:
- $75.00 first day per person, $60 per day subsequent days; children under 10 (housed with parents) half price. Fr infants, parents must bring sleeping accommodations. Parents will be responsible for minors at all times. Staff guests are housed with staff members.
Additional Funding Sources
Apply for 2015 Summer Workshops
Complete the online application form and submit your deposit or full payment by credit card through PayPal (you do not have to be a PayPal member), or by check payable to Bearnstow. Please choose the appropriate form: Resident Participant Form or Day Participant Form. If you encounter any problems completing your application, please write the Bearnstow Webmaster. If for any reason, you cannot apply online, e-mail your name and address to Bearnstow Administration and request that a printed application form be mailed to you.
Application for the Young Artist Residency Program
Please apply by e-mail to Bearnstow Administration with résumé, portrait photo, and letter of recommendation.
You will need Adobe Reader to open and print PDF documents. If you do not already have Adobe Reader installed, click the button on the left to download it.