Summer 2013 Programs at Bearnstow
Bearnstow is pleased to announce the Summer 2013 roster of dance workshops. We are also actively seeking workshops in the sciences. Bearnstows 65 acres of pristine woodland and 2,400 feet of shoreline on Parker Pond are uniquely suited for studies in biology, ecology, and earth sciences. Instructors in the biological and geological sciences who have interest in conducting workshops should send inquiries to Bearnstow Administration. Small science workshops (with five or fewer students) may be scheduled in the same weeks with performing arts workshops, depending on housing capacity.
Summer 2013 Schedule
June 2329: Natural History Week at Bearnstow Nature Walks and Presentations by Naturalists
July 1July 12 (two weeks, MonFri): Day Camp for Children of School Age
June 30July 13, (two weeks): Ruth Grauert and Sara Shelton Mann The Aesthetics of Performance
July 1420, 2013: Peter Kyle and Scott Giguere Slow Tempo
July 20: Maine Audubon Annual Loon Count
July 2127: Robin Gilmore Mapping the Human Terrain
July 28August 3: Dorothy Vislocky Principles of Nikolais Theory and Composition
August 410: Claire Porter Writing and Moving, A Creativity Retreat
August 1117: Lynn Needle Expanding Boundaries: Yoga, Modern Dance and the Creative Process
August 1824: K.J. Holmes Combining Disciplines for Creative Performance
August 25August 31: Friends Week and the Intern Concert
Community Classes for All Ages
On Wednesday evenings Bearnstows faculty offers free classes to community members of all ages at the Mount
Vernon Community Center, July 3 though August 21, at 7:30 p.m. Please see the workshop descriptions above
for the instructors and class content.
For Young People, 1518
Young people ages 15 to 18 are invited to attend adult workshop classes from 9:30 a.m. to 12:00 noon. There are usually two classes each morning, each workshop having its own aesthetic (see workshop descriptions). Permission of the instructor is needed for admission. Fee is $75.00 for the five morning sessions. To apply, a letter detailing the students interest should be sent to Bearnstow Administration.
Summer 2013 Fees and Applications
Fee Schedule for One-Week Workshop:
Fee Schedule for Any Two Consecutive Weeks:
(If you wish to attend three or more consecutive weeks, please write Bearnstow for discounted fees.)
- Tuition for Resident Participants includes housing and meals.
- Tuition for Day Participants includes lunch every day and dinner Sunday and Wednesday evenings. At other times meals may be purchased if desired: breakfast ($8.00) and dinner ($15.00).
- Resident Participants should arrive on Sunday afternoon before dinner, depart on Saturday after lunch. Workshops include morning and afternoon classes daily plus lab time, with time for recreation. Total course hours exceed 30 and may be accepted by colleges and universities for credit. Apply to your respective institution.
- For Day Participant commuters the workshop week includes the opening Sunday dinner, all class activity from Monday through Saturday morning, six lunches, and dinner on Wednesday evening (the evening of the Mount Vernon Community Center class). Day Students are responsible for providing their own transportation to and from Bearnstow.
- Limited work/study scholarships are available (please note your request on your application). Work/study participants assist the interns in exchange for $50 deducted from total fee. Participants requiring additional financial assistance should contact the their workshop instructors. Full-season residental internships are also available, which provide access to all classes and a stipend. Please send inquiries to Bearnstow Administration.
- Auditors must have an agreement with the instructor to attend classes. The instructor may wish to charge an auditing fee. Please e-mail Bearnstow Administration, giving your professional status and the workshop you would like to attend. Auditors will be housed with student participants.
Fees for Day Camp:
- Two weeks Day Camp, including lunch: $275.00 (see Day Camp for more information).
Fees for Guests:
- $75.00 first day per person, $60 per day subsequent days; children under 10 (housed with parents) half price. For infants, parents must bring sleeping accommodations. Parents will be responsible for minors at all times. Staff guests are housed with staff members.
Applying for Bearnstow 2013 Workshops:
Two ways to apply:
- APPLY ONLINE and submit your deposit or full payment by credit card through PayPal (you do not have to be a PayPal member). You may also complete the onlne application form and pay by mail. Please choose the appropriate form: Resident Participant Form or Day Participant Form. If you encounter any problems completing your application, please write the Bearnstow Webmaster.
- APPLY BY MAIL. If you prefer to apply by mail, please download the Summer 2013 Application Form (PDF). Print and complete the form, and send it with your non-refundable registration fee of $50, or your full payment, to Bearnstow, 83 Sanford Pl., Jersey City, NY 070307. If you cannot download and print documents, please e-mail your name and address to Bearnstow Administration and request that an application be mailed to you.
Application for Internships
Please apply for internships by e-mail to Bearnstow.
You will need Adobe Reader to open and print PDF documents. Click the button on the left to download Adobe Reader.