Bearnstow is seeking an experienced chef/cook who can work creatively on a budget to create delicious meals for Bearnstow’s resident participants during August, 2021. Bearnstow is a unique summer arts retreat dedicated to the preservation and appreciation of our natural environment. Our organization lies on sixty-five acres of pristine woodland, bordering the serene Parker Pond in Mount Vernon, Maine. Our mission is to offer meaningful educational and artistic programming that fosters care of land and spirit, inspires freedom of individual expression, and promotes exploration of the natural world through the creative arts and sciences
Chef Job Responsibilities:
• Develop and plan weekly menus for camp
• Complete the grocery shopping weekly
• Lead preparation of Lunches and Dinners 5 days a week
• Lead a crew of dedicated volunteers to assist in meal prep
• Maintain standards for food storage, rotation, quality, and appearance.
• Ensure compliance with applicable health codes and regulations.
Compensation for this position is $500 a week including room and board, optional free participation in Bearnstows workshops and other programming, and enjoyment of the incredible nature around you! You will report directly to associate director, Molly Hess and will work with a small, creative, team of dedicated volunteers. You must provide your own vehicle, but Bearnstow will cover the cost gas for required shopping trips.
The Ideal candidate has:
• Demonstrated knowledge of culinary techniques and practices
• Understanding of menu planning for a variety of dietary needs
• Ability to work creatively on a budget
• Strong leadership abilities
• Understanding of health and sanitation laws (Serve safe certification preferred)
• Professional kitchen experience
• Your own vehicle
• An interest in the arts and environment is a plus!
To Apply please send a statement of interest, resume, and 2 references to molly(at)bearnstow(dot)org
Bearnstow does not discriminate on the basis of race, creed, color, ethnicity, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender expression, age, height, weight, physical or mental ability, veteran status, military obligations, and marital status.