Bearnstow is seeking a Kitchen Manager and lead cook who can work creatively on a budget to create delicious meals for Bearnstow’s Day Campers and resident artists during our 2022 season. Bearnstow is a unique summer arts retreat dedicated to the preservation and appreciation of our natural environment. Our organization lies on sixty-five acres of pristine woodland, bordering the serene Parker Pond in Mount Vernon, Maine. Our mission is to offer meaningful educational and artistic programming that fosters care of land and spirit, inspires freedom of individual expression, and promotes exploration of the natural world through the creative arts and sciences.
Chef Job Responsibilities: (4 weeks, Estimated 25-30 hours per week)
• Develop and plan weekly menus for camp
• Complete the grocery shopping weekly
• Lead preparation of Lunches and Dinners 5 days a week
• Lead a crew of dedicated volunteers and interns to assist in meal prep
• Maintain standards for food storage, rotation, quality, and appearance.
• Ensure compliance with applicable health codes and regulations.
Compensation for this position is $500 a week including room and board, optional free participation in Bearnstow’s workshops, performances, other programming, and enjoyment of the incredible nature around you! This position is also great for an artist who like to pursue their own personal creative practice in thier free time using Bearnstow facilties and grounds. You will report directly to associate director, Molly Hess and will work with a small, creative, team of dedicated interns and volunteers. You must provide your own vehicle, but Bearnstow will cover the cost gas for required shopping trips. Dates for this position are June 27- July 22.
The Ideal candidate has:
• Demonstrated knowledge of culinary techniques and practices
• Understanding of menu planning for a variety of dietary needs
• Ability to work creatively on a budget
• Strong leadership abilities
• Understanding of health and sanitation laws (Serve safe certification preferred)
• Professional kitchen experience
• Your own vehicle
• An interest in the arts and environment is a plus!
To Apply please send a resume and a brief statement about your interest to molly(at)bearnstow(dot)org
Bearnstow is an equal opportunity employer.