Bearnstow’s Young Artist Internship Program, which runs mid-June to late August, is an intensive summer program of dance, creative process, performance and teamwork for a select group of hardworking individuals who show genuine promise and commitment to dance and other performing arts.
Chosen artists receive the following:
- Full access to all workshops, instruction and mentoring by a faculty of professional artists and Bearnstow staff
- Interns gain experience working with dance, theater, music, and beyond through interdisciplinary collaboration with other artists and instruction by our workshop faculty.
- natural history lectures, hands-on instruction and trail walks
- Opportunity to perform in weekly informal showings throughout the summer
- Opportunity to lead creative session(s) for our youth Day Camp
- Opportunity to meet, study with, and create original work with other artists and students attending each workshop;
- Full use of our facilities and 65 acres of natural lands to explore and create your own work
- A performance produced by Bearnstow at the end of the season to showcase your creative work
- Documentation of work shown during the season.
- Personalized attention due to small class sizes, and invaluable insight into the aesthetic and process of each instructor;
- Chance to be part of a close-knit cohort of artists who collaborate on a program of their own choreographic work in a shared concert at summer’s end;
- Shared room and board throughout the season, and a weekly stipend ($100).
In exchange, the Interns work as a team of capable assistants who can “put their hand to anything.” Interns work in collaboration with Bearnstow’s staff, chef, and facilities caretakers to assist in Bearnstow’s kitchen, with cabin upkeep, and facilities maintenance. Throughout the season it is not unusual for Residents to go from devising recipes and serving incredible meals, to improvising on the shore of the pond, composing sound scores, creating original dance videos, and planning performance projects together outside of camp. Living, working, and making art together are central to the Bearnstow experience.
Summer Dates 2023
June 16 – August 27
Bearnstow’s Young Artist intern program is open to all artists 18+ currently engaged in the study of and/or practice of performing arts including: dance, physical theater, theater, music, and interdisciplinary performance.
We encourage all to apply. Bearnstow does not discriminate on the basis of race, creed, color, ethnicity, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender expression, age, height, weight, physical or mental ability, veteran status, military obligations, or marital status.
All accepted artists must be fully vaccinated against Covid-19 before the start of the season and will be required to show proof of vaccination.
- Fill out the form through the “Apply Now Button”
- Send a letter of interest and resume/cv to molly(at)bearnstow(dot)org
Applications now closed for 2023 – Applicants will be notified by the end of March
Please contact molly(at)bearnstow(dot)org with questions about the internship or application!
Past Artist Interns:
Mira Livia Berkson, Annie Kidwell, Maggie Laszewski, Janis Casillas-Estrada
[Back row] Heriberto “Chino” Mendoza; Ellen Oliver; Molly Hess; Lucas Rollins-Page. [Front row] Laura Miola; Jonathan Trejo
[Clockwise from left] Ocoee Chapelle; Sophia Diehl; Daniel Ramírez; Symara Johnson; Bárbara Valencia
[Back row] Owen Prum; Chaesong Kim; Marc Ferraro. [Front row] Mario Hernández; Angela Cole; Ellen Oliver
[Back row] Ben Swenson-Klatt; Jonathan Trejo. [Front row] Ellen Oliver; Chaesong Kim; Eliza Malecki
[Back row] Allison Bradley; Harper Foote; Michal Freriks. [Front row] Megan Mizanty; Anabel Sagrero; Jmaw Moses
[From left] Emmanuel Becerra; Evelyn Langley; Tyler Rai; Ben Grinberg; Eri Matsui; Anabel Sagrero
[From left] Adam Kerbel; Cristina Woehlert; Nicole Garlando; Karina Culloton; Heriberto Mendoza
Emmanuel Becerra; Dasha Chernova;Tyler Rai; Ashley Tanberg; Nitzia Vieyra
Nitzia Vieyra, Timo Wagner, Molly Hess, Lizzie Joy Loveland