Bearnstow’s Young Artist Residency Program, which runs mid-June to late August, is an intensive summer program of dance, creative process, performance and teamwork for a select group of hardworking individuals who show genuine promise and commitment to the art of dance.
Chosen residents receive the following:
- Eight weeks of workshops, including approximately 240 hours of instruction and mentoring by a superlative international faculty of professional artists;
- One week of natural history lectures, hands-on instruction and trail walks;
- Opportunity to perform in weekly informal showings throughout the summer;
- Opportunity to lead movement session(s) for our youth Day Camp;
- Rich opportunity to meet, study with, and create original work with other artists and students attending each workshop;
- Personalized attention due to small class sizes, and invaluable insight into the aesthetic and process of each instructor;
- Chance to be part of a close-knit company of artists who collaborate on a program of their own choreographic work in a shared concert at summer’s end;
- Shared room and board throughout the season, and a nominal honorarium.
In exchange, the Residents work as a team of capable assistants who can “put their hand to anything.” In addition to collaborating on food preparation and camp facility maintenance throughout the summer, Residents may be involved with designing programs and other promotional material, conducting research, or assisting with other administrative duties at camp. Throughout the season it is not unusual for Residents to go from devising exotic recipes and serving incredible meals, to improvising on the shore of the pond, composing sound scores, creating original dance videos, and planning performance projects together at other venues nationally and internationally. Living together and making art together are central to the Bearnstow experience.
[Back row] Heriberto “Chino” Mendoza; Ellen Oliver; Molly Hess; Lucas Rollins-Page. [Front row] Laura Miola; Jonathan Trejo
[Clockwise from left] Ocoee Chapelle; Sophia Diehl; Daniel Ramírez; Symara Johnson; Bárbara Valencia
[Back row] Owen Prum; Chaesong Kim; Marc Ferraro. [Front row] Mario Hernández; Angela Cole; Ellen Oliver
[Back row] Ben Swenson-Klatt; Jonathan Trejo. [Front row] Ellen Oliver; Chaesong Kim; Eliza Malecki
[Back row] Allison Bradley; Harper Foote; Michal Freriks. [Front row] Megan Mizanty; Anabel Sagrero; Jmaw Moses
[From left] Emmanuel Becerra; Evelyn Langley; Tyler Rai; Ben Grinberg; Eri Matsui; Anabel Sagrero
[From left] Adam Kerbel; Cristina Woehlert; Nicole Garlando; Karina Culloton; Heriberto Mendoza
Emmanuel Becerra; Dasha Chernova;Tyler Rai; Ashley Tanberg; Nitzia Vieyra